The Playing with the Elements course specifically focuses on
playing with the non-living elements of the natural world i.e. the
Four elements of earth, Air, Fire and Water.
In this course, the concept of the Four Elements is used to
- the make-up and physical features of outdoor play
- themes for different types of activities and outdoor play
- symbols and concepts for the different ways in which children
play outdoors and interact with the natural world.
Facilitating environmental play should not be limited to outdoor
'specialists' within the children's play workforce. Playing outside
with natural elements should be a regular and ongoing aspect of
supervised play for all children, in a wide range of settings, and
as such is the responsibility of everyone who works to support
With this in mind, the course aims to bridge the gap between
your existing skills, tools and confidence and those needed to make
the first moves in environmental playwork or to develop it further.
Through the course structure, you will be able to identify and
acknowledge your own specific areas for learning and
This Level 3 course is a 30 hour
course, consisting of five sessions of 3.5 hours, then a final
session of 4.5 hours, plus 8 personal reflective practice
The session titles are:
- to have undertaken some playwork study at level 2;
- to currently be working with children in a play setting;
- to have undertaken training which includes the Playwork
Induction Standard or similar.